Dental Appointments Over Your Lunch Break
High Point Dentistry makes going to the dentist over your lunch break easy! With convenient appointments available during your lunch break you’ll be able to keep up with your oral health without having to take time off or leave work early.
If you are a new patient, your first appointment will be with Dr. Miranda for a comprehensive exam. This appointment is designed to understand and establish your baseline dental and oral health. We will review your medical history, take dental radiographs, examine your jaw joints, evaluate your soft tissue, and assess your periodontal health. The mouth provides a great insight into your overall health which is why it is important that Dr. Miranda does a thorough examination. After your comprehensive exam, you will meet one of our hygienists who will conduct your dental cleaning or periodontal maintenance.
The first appointment for a new patient is always the longest and if you need to squeeze it in to a tight lunch break, your comprehensive examination and your cleaning can be split into two appointments; however, after that, the appointments are under an hour long!
Let’s be honest: Most people are not a fan of the infamous scraping noises that a dental cleaning entails. It is probably the most common complaint that I hear as a hygienist. Hand scaling: “It’s like nails on a chalkboard!” At High Point, we offer ultrasonic scaling for this reason and many others!
What is ultrasonic scaling?
Unlike hand scaling, ultrasonic scaling combines high vibrations with water to break up plaque, stain and hardened deposit on the teeth. The vibrations produce heat, so the water is present to help keep the ultrasonic tip cool and comfortable for the patient. At the same time, it provides a thorough flushing action to help flush away debris and bacteria from the gum pockets. It is often compared to a WaterPik or called a “water cleaner.”
Some of the pros to ultrasonic scaling include:
- Decreased treatment times. This means less scraping!
- More thorough removal of bacterial endotoxins. Water provides a detoxifying irrigation effect!
- Reduced tissue trauma due to the absence of sharp, cutting edges.
- Increased patient comfort.
- Patients report feeling “cleaner than usual” with it’s power washing effect.
Some contraindications include:
- Patients with unshielded implanted cardiac devices.
- Communicable diseases- Greater amounts of aerosols are produced with ultrasonic scaling and infection control is a top priority at High Point!
- Not for use on primary or newly erupted permanent teeth.
- Respiratory illness.
Whether you’re dreading the sound of hand scaling or looking for an extra sparkling clean, ultrasonic scaling might be of interest to you. Feel free to request this at your next hygiene visit!